CASTLE OF SOLITUDE

The Château de la Solitude is a ruined castle located in a wooded park in the territory of the commune of Plessis-Robinson1. It is in fact a neo-Gothic style castle with a floor area of ​​480 square meters comprising in its center an inner courtyard (originally covered with a cross-ribbed vault in glass brick), built in 1903 by a wealthy Parisian chocolatier, François-Philibert Marquis.

It later served as a rest home where René Viviani stayed, and as a residence for a Carmelite congregation. It was subsequently bought by the State, which turned it into a technical college for young single mothers, closing in 1973. In 2016, the film "Elles... Les Filles du Plessis" told the story of these young single mothers and their living conditions.

castle of solitude

In 1977 and 1987, fires ravaged it. The writer Raymond Radiguet used it as the backdrop for his novel *Le Bal du comte d'Orgel* (published posthumously in 1924). The park surrounding these ruins is state-owned but managed by the Hauts-de-Seine General Council. It consists mainly of oak and chestnut trees and is home to some wild animal species.

Recent Articles