VALGROS CASTLE

The Château de Valgros, later renamed Château de Frontenac, dating from the late 19th century and restored in the 20th century, stands on the edge of the Roman road, at the eastern entrance to the town of Bram.

Built in 1870, the château was initially owned by Mr. Fabre, then passed into the hands of the Piquet family until 1987, when it was sold to a Dutch company. The latter planned to develop luxury apartments for rent, as well as a range of amenities in the park, including a golf course, tennis courts, a swimming pool, and even a football pitch.

Valgros Castle

Despite the creation of a model apartment, the renovations were far from complete, and it seemed that no one had ever lived there. Over the years, the castle and its grounds were sold several times, always to Dutch companies.

Investigators concluded that the first fire was arson, and several individuals were prosecuted for fraud and money laundering in connection with the destruction of the castle by fire. Some were fined between €550,000 and €1.5 million, while others received prison sentences.

Tragically, it was destroyed by fire on the night of October 25, 2005. This fire was the largest in the last twenty years, compared to that of the Prouilhe monastery in 1988.

Recent Articles