EMILE LOUIS ORPHANAGE

The Émile Louis Orphanage, built in 1906, has had a turbulent history since its construction. Initially intended to house orphans, it quickly faced financial difficulties, which worsened during the First World War. During this conflict, the orphanage and its owner accumulated significant debts.

In 1939, with the outbreak of World War II, the orphanage was abandoned and requisitioned by the Germans to serve as a prison camp. After the war, it came under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education, becoming a training center for future physical education teachers. However, in 1947, it was abandoned once again.


In 1952, it was repurposed as part of a network of University Hospital Centers (CHU). It primarily functioned as a retirement home, also accommodating people in convalescence. However, as maintenance and heating costs became prohibitive, it was abandoned in 1992.

Since then, the castle has remained abandoned, and its state of disrepair has worsened considerably. However, the site is now under surveillance and has been sealed off, making any visit dangerous and illegal.

Recent Articles